The Energy-plus building Specialized Master concerns achieving proficiency in energy control in the construction field (thermal energy in buildings). It aims to train engineers capable of designing low-consumption (LCB) or positive-energy buildings.
The course provides the keys and tools required to respond to the demands and expectations involved in implementing the recommendations issued by the Grenelle Environment Forum and the Energy Transition Act applied to building works, in terms of thermal and energy requirements.
This Master’s course has earned a place on the podium of the SMBG classification of the best Masters, SMs and MBAs in the category of “Energies and Renewable Energies”.
This course is open to students coming from Civil Engineering and Energy Engineering courses, who have obtained one of the following diplomas or levels:
- Engineering diploma accredited by the Engineering qualifications Commission
- Diploma from a Management School that is accredited to deliver Master level diplomas
- 3rd Cycle diploma or equivalent qualification accredited by university authorities or professional diploma consistent with a Bac+5 years level.
- Master’s degree or equivalent, for candidates who can prove at least 3 years of professional experience
- Foreign qualifications that are equivalent to the French diplomas required above
- By way of derogation, for a maximum of 30% of the SM intake: candidates who can prove that they have specific and significant experience in the field of Energy Engineering or Civil Engineering, who hold a Masters or equivalent diploma or who have benefited from a procedure to validate the experience they have acquired (VAE) or who have a diploma equivalent to Bac+2 years or a certified qualification of level III minimum for those candidates who can prove relevant experience of a minimum of 3 years.
HOW TO APPLY
Deadline for applications: 1st June 2018 (1st session)
1st September 2018 (2nd session)
- The application forms can be downloaded HERE
- The application forms should be addressed to: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
then by mail to
IMT Lille Douai
Site de Douai
Direction des Etudes et de la Formation
Pôle Professionnalisation et Développement
941 rue Charles BOURSEUL
CS 10838 - 59508 DOUAI cedex
Tél. 03 27 71 20 29
Two sites are available to study for this Specialized Master: IMT Mines Albi or IMT Lille Douai. The choice of course location should be specified in the application.
Graduate education: 6 000 € TTC
Continuous Professional Training: 12 000 € TTC
Application fee: 30 € TTC
International candidates are encouraged to apply for the first session (1st June 2018) to allow enough time, in case of acceptance, for them to complete the administrative procedures at the diplomatic mission in their home country.
Simultaneously to sending their application to the secretariat of the Specialized Master at IMT Lille Douai, they must obtain the required information about conditions for studying in France, and sign up on the 'Studying in France' platform.
The course involves 300 hours of classes, 140 hours of project work and 6 months of in-company training in the following fields:
Theoretical and practical teaching is organised into 3 main Teaching Units (UE):
UE 1 Bioclimatic architecture, thermal comfort and environment (110 hours)::
- Bioclimatic architecture
- Comfort and thermal transfer
- Quality of internal air
- Eco-design, sustainable materials and lifecycle analysis
- Building acoustics
UE 2 Physics, dynamic thermal modelling of the building envelope and BIM (115 hours):
- Thermal behaviour of a building and modelling, methods and tools, Dynamic Thermal Simulation, Thermal Regulations, 2012
- Dimensioning energy systems
UE 3 Urban energy systems and energy management (110 hours):
- Energy efficiency of low consumption buildings
- Thermal renovation of buildings
- Renewable energy applied to building
- Passive-energy buildings
- Urban energy management
One additional EU whose content varies depending on the chosen course location (Albi or Douai): Technology monitoring, Analysis and Issues for energy and the environment (90 hours)
The course also includes Lectures: the role of the architect, wood constructions... and visits to several energy-plus buildings, depending on the course location
Scientific and technical project (140hrs):
Jointly supervised by professionals and the research fellows of IMT Lille Douai and IMT Mines Albi
Professional thesis (25 weeks):
To complete the educational programme and validate the course, a period of in-company training (or professional thesis) of 6 months is also required with the aim of putting into practice the capability of appreciating an industrial problem in the widest possible manner: scientific, economic, organisational, relational, human, etc.
After completing their “Energy-Plus Building” SM, graduates are in a position to take up jobs with a high level of responsibility in R&D, study and design, project management, building-site monitoring, etc.
- Study and design:
- Thermal calculations required by regulations and thermal dynamic simulation tools
- Dimensioning of optimized energy installations
- Definition of the building (design/adaptation)
- Assistance to construction project managers and architect
Project and/or construction site manager:
- Coordinating the interventions of different trades
- Definition and validation of adaptations for rehabilitating existing buildings
- Inspection of completed works in accordance with regulations