Biomass and waste for energy and materials
Type of diploma: National Master's Degree
Entry requirement: Bachelor's Degree
Fields: Biomass, energy, waste
The objectives of BiWEM are to provide students with a sound theoretical and practical specialised knowledge in the field of biomass and waste processing. Students in the program will acquire the ability to design economically viable biological or thermochemical processes for the conversion of biomass and waste into new materials or energy carriers, within a sustainable development frame. Consequently, BiWEM focuses on chemical engineering but also includes courses on economics, international regulations and on certain areas of the social sciences and humanities.
Given the current context of natural resource depletion, environmental and public health crises related to air and water pollution, pressures on energy supplies, we are facing a paradigm shift. The linear model “take, make, consume and dispose” is progressively being replaced by a 4R approach “repair, refurbish, reuse and recycle”. The circular economy is becoming day after day a new development strategy for nations. Better eco-design, waste prevention and reuse bring significant net savings for businesses, while also reducing environmental harm and bringing new job opportunities.
Turning biomass and waste into a valuable resource is at the heart of this strategy. Generating new materials, processes and markets requires global high-level training, including science, technology, regulatory knowledge, management and economics. All these innovative systems will emerge at the crossroads of process engineering, chemistry, fluid mechanics, thermal science, environmental sciences and economics as well as social sciences and humanities. BiWEM was created to satisfy the growing needs of this dynamic sector.
Participants must hold a Bachelor of Science or Engineering degree, in the field of chemical engineering, clean technology, mechanical engineering, energy. Participants with some industrial experience are also welcome.
- Mother tongue or
- Bachelor degree taught in English or
- English test such as TOEFL IBT 80, IELTS 6.0, TOEIC 750, Cambridge CAE.
No prerequisite in French, but TEF II or equivalent may be required to obtain a visa.
To apply : Click here
This is a full-time program of 2 years divided into four semesters: lectures, tutorials and practical work over the 3 academic semesters followed by an internship of one semester in a company or in a public research lab. The program is composed of four teaching blocks, including an integrated team project over the three academic semesters under the supervision of expert practitioners.
1. Environmental and social economic issues (26 ECTS)
- Ethics, management and economics of the environment
- Corporate social responsibility
- Ecotechnologies and innovation
- Global environmental business
2. Fundamental science and generic engineering tools (20 ECTS)
- Fundamentals of transport phenomena, applied chemistry,
biochemistry, metabolic pathways
- Generic numerical and experimental methods for process
optimization and engineering
- Process modeling, integration and assessment
This is a full-time program of 2 years divided into four semesters: lectures, tutorials and practical work over the 3 academic semesters followed by an internship of one semester in a company or in a public research lab.
The program is composed of four teaching blocks, including an integrated team project over the three academic semesters under the supervision of expert practitioners.
3. Fundamentals for renewable resource conversion (22 ECTS)
- Resource availability, collection and sustainability
- Biomass and waste pre-processing
- Fundamentals of biological and thermochemical reactor design
- Gas and solid coproducts post-processing
4. Putting theoretical concepts into practice (22 ECTS)
- Industrial visits
- Industrially-relevant project work, sponsored by industrial partners:
Environmental-friendly design of an economically viable processing route for turning waste or biomass into energy, chemical or useful material
- R&D Engineer
- Junior Project Engineer
- Process Engineer
- Design Engineer
- Exploitation engineer
- Environmental consultant